Occupational Therapists: FAQs

Q. What will InterFysio do for me?
A. InterFysio will sponsor you for a work visa or for permanent residence in the United States. Our team of lawyers, credentialing/licensing specialists, and staffing professionals will help obtain the required licenses and authorization for your employment as an occupational therapist. We will handle all necessary steps including your visa screen, your license application, and your immigration application.
Q. What are the costs?
A. You will be responsible for certain credentialing fees.
Q. How long will the process take?
A. Processing times vary depending on your credentialing and licensure status when you apply with us.  If you have not yet begun the credentialing process, it may take approximately one year to obtain the necessary credentialing and licensure approvals for your visa. InterFysio will do its best to ensure timely completion of the process but offers no guarantee on the ultimate timing.
Q. Where do I take the NBCOT certification exam?
A. The exam is administered in various locations worldwide. For more information on the exam, including locations and schedules, please visit www.nbcot.org.
Q. What is a “visa screen”?
A. U.S. immigration law now requires that certain foreign healthcare workers, including Occupational Therapists, obtain a foreign healthcare certificate. Currently, there are only two accredited agencies authorized to issue these certificates for occupational therapists: CGFNS (www.cgfns.org) and NBCOT (www.nbcot.org).  The certificate issued by CGFNS is commonly referred to as a “visa screen” certificate, whereas the NBCOT certificate is called a “VCVC” certificate. The purpose of the immigration law requirement is to verify that foreign health care workers possess the requisite education, (i.e. a 4-year degree, English proficiency, and a foreign.)
Q. Am I required to be fluent in English?
A. Yes. U.S. immigration law and work place realities require proficiency in English. The required scores are:

  • Computer-Based TOEFL: 220
  • Test of Written English (TWE): 4.5
  • Test of Spoken English (TSE): 50

or the new Combined Exam:

  • TOEFL iBT: Total 89 (26 in Speaking)

This is required for all applicants who have not received their professional degree from Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand and the UK. Please note that CGFNS must receive your score directly from ETS.

Q. How will I find housing?
A. We will provide you with a list of real estate agents and websites which will aid you in your search for a house or apartment. We will also put you in touch with our employees that have recently found housing themselves. We also assist you with references as necessary.
Q. Can my family join me in the U.S.?
A. Yes, your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 will also receive green cards permitting them to live and work in the US. If you enter on an H-1B visa, your spouse and children will receive H-4 visas allowing them to live but not work in the US.
Q. What type of assignments can I expect?
A. InterFysio’s clients include an entire range of treatment facilities. Most of our clients are mid-size out-patient clinics, doctor’s offices and specialized treatment centers.
Q. What can I expect to receive in vacation time?
A. You will receive a reasonable amount of vacation time plus several public holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, President’s Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
Q. If I am unhappy with my assignment, can I choose another?
A. InterFysio will always attempt to match your skills and preferences with a suitable client. If necessary, we will accommodate your request for a new placement.
Q. Will I be able to take classes or continuing education while working in the United States?
A. InterFysio offers an annual $400 credit for a continuing education class of your choice. We also offer numerous in-house training opportunities.  We encourage you to continue your education and career development. While we do not finance your studies, we will attempt to provide flexibility in your work schedule to accommodate your studies.