Physical Therapists: The Process

Step 1.

Send us your detailed CV indicating your particular area of interest within Physical Therapy and your dates of matriculation

Step 2.

We perform an initial review of your case and screen you against two critical measures:

  • Experience as a Physical Therapist – Preference is given to graduates of internationally respected institutions and candidates with work experience.
  • Fluency in English – Employment requirements necessitate that recruits speak fluent English. Ultimately, prospective staffers will need to successfully complete the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and the TSE (Test of Spoken English), or the TOEFL iBT in order to demonstrate fluency in the English language.
  • Education – All foreign-educated Physical Therapists must have their education reviewed by USCIS-authorized credentialing agencies.  The standards for United States PTs—and therefore foreign-educated PTs interested in work here—have risen significantly in recent years, and we must review each candidate’s dates of matriculation and level of education to determine if he or she will qualify.

Within a two week period, we will respond to your inquiry.

Step 3.

If you satisfy the above criteria, you will then be telephonically interviewed by a staff Physical Therapist. Upon our approval of your qualifications, you will be offered a written contract; the contract will explain the terms and services for the rest of the process.

Step 4.

We will begin the process to evaluate your credentials in the United States, apply for your license to practice physical therapy, and apply for your visa or green card.

Please refer to the diagram below:


NPTE: National Physical Therapy examination (Administered only in the U.S. and its territories)

NYSED: New York State Education Department – Official agency that determines eligibility for issuance of PT licenses

CGFNS: Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing School – accredited non-governmental agency authorized to verify foreign Physical Therapist credentials and to issue visa screen certificate for immigration purposes.

FCCPT: Foreign Credentialing Commission on Physical Therapy – accredited non-governmental agency authorized to verify foreign Physical Therapist credentials and to issue Type I/II certificate for immigration purposes.

CVS-NY: Credential Verification Service for the State of New York – special supplemental verification procedure required only in the State of New York for PT licensure.

Step 5. ~ Immigration

InterFysio will sponsor qualified PTs for employment in the U.S.

Depending on the most appropriate circumstances at the time, InterFysio will either sponsor you for a green card or work visa. Our aim is to obtain ability for you to work in the U.S. in the most efficient manner.

Physical therapists seeking employment in the United States have two options under United States immigration law: a temporary working visa (also known as an H-1B visa), and a permanent employment visa (“green card”). The requirements for obtaining each are similar, and processing times constitute the only major difference between a temporary and a permanent visa.

Permanent U.S. Residence (Green Card)

A Physical Therapist who meets the professional educational and licensing requirements may qualify for a green card.

Temporary Visas

An H-1B visa is given to individuals who hold a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in his/her field of potential employment. The visa is issued for an initial period of three years, but it can be extended for up to six years (or longer under certain circumstances).