Speech-Language Therapists: FAQs

Q. What will InterFysio do for me?
A. InterFysio will license you, sponsor you, and employ you.  Our team of lawyers, credentialing/licensing specialists, and staffing professionals will help obtain the required licenses and authorization for employment with us as a speech language pathologist in the United States. We will handle all necessary steps including your visa screen and your license application. We will handle your immigration application and will sponsor you for a work visa or for permanent residence in the United States.

Please note that Australian citizens benefit from a special, expedited work visa.

Q. What are the costs?
A. You will be responsible for certain credentialing fees.
Q. How long will the process take?
A. Processing times vary depending on your credentialing and licensure status when you apply with us.  If you have not yet begun the credentialing process, it may take approximately one year to obtain the necessary credentialing and licensure approvals for your visa. InterFysio will do its best to ensure timely completion of the process but offers no guarantee on the ultimate timing.
Q. Where do I take the Praxis II Exam?
A. The exam is administered in various locations worldwide. For more information on the exam, including locations and schedules, please visit www.ets.org.
Q. How long will it take for me to receive my Praxis II Exam scores?
A. Because ETS only offers the SLP Praxis II Exam in paper format, it will take approximately four weeks for you to receive your score.
Q. If I have extensive work experience will I be able to use it to satisfy the Clinical Fellowship requirement?
A. No. New York State standards mandate that the Clinical Fellow must be supervised by a New York licensed SLP or an ASHA certified SLP within the United States but not within New York.
Q. What is a “visa screen”?
A. U.S. immigration law requires that certain foreign healthcare workers, including Speech-Language Pathologists, obtain a foreign healthcare certificate. This is commonly referred to as a “visa screen.”  Currently, there is only one accredited agency authorized to issue these certificates for SLPs: CGFNS (www.cgfns.org). The purpose of the immigration law requirement is to verify that foreign health care workers possess the requisite education and English fluency.
Q. Am I required to be fluent in English?
A. Yes. U.S. immigration law and work place realities require proficiency in English. The required scores are:

  • Computer-Based TOEFL: 220
  • Test of Written English (TWE): 4.5
  • Test of Spoken English (TSE): 50

Or the new Combined Exam:

  • TOEFL iBT: Total 89 (26 in Speaking)

This is required for all applicants who are not graduates of university healthcare programs from Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand and the U.K. Please note that CGFNS must receive your score directly from ETS.

Q. Can my family join me in the U.S.?
A. Yes, your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 will also receive green cards permitting them to live and work in the US. If you enter on an H-1B visa, your spouse and children will receive H-4 visas allowing them to live but not work in the US.
Q. How will I find housing?
A. We will provide you with a list of real estate agents and websites which will aid you in your search for a house or apartment. We will also put you in touch with our employees that have recently found housing themselves. We also assist you with references as necessary.
Q. What type of assignments can I expect?
A. Our clients include top schools, clinics, hospitals and pediatric and adult centers in the metropolitan New York area.
Q. What can I expect to receive in vacation time?
A. You will receive a reasonable amount of vacation time plus several public holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, President’s Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
Q. If I am unhappy with my assignment, can I choose another?
A. InterFysio will always attempt to match your skills and preferences with a suitable client. If necessary, we will accommodate your reasonable request for a new placement.
Q. Will I be able to take classes or continuing education while working in the United States?
A. InterFysio offers an annual $400 credit for a continuing education class of your choice. We also offer numerous in-house training opportunities.  We encourage you to continue your education and career development. While we do not finance your studies, we will attempt to provide flexibility in your work schedule to accommodate your studies.