Speech-Language Therapists: The Process

Here is how the process works:

Step 1.

Send us your detailed CV indicating your particular area of interest within Speech-Language Pathology.

Step 2:

We perform an initial review of your case and screen you against three critical measures:

  • Master’s Degree – Five or more years of university education.
  • Experience as a Speech-Language Pathologist – Preference is given to graduates of internationally respected institutions and candidates with work experience.
  • Fluency in English – Employment requirements necessitate that recruits speak fluent English. Ultimately, prospective recruits will need to successfully complete the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and the TSE (Test of Spoken English), or the TOEFL iBT in order to demonstrate fluency in the English language, available at www.ets.org/toefl.
    • Graduates of health professional programs in Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, the U.K., and the United States are exempt from this requirement.

Within two weeks, we will respond to your inquiry.

Step 3:

If you satisfy the above criteria, you will be asked to send us additional materials and will then be telephonically interviewed by a staff Speech-Language Pathologist. Upon our approval of your qualifications, you will be offered a written contract; the contract will explain the terms, services, and fees for the rest of the process.

Step 4:

We will begin a process to evaluate your credentials in the United States, apply for your license to practice Speech-Language Pathology, and apply for your visa or green card. The following procedures regarding each aspect of obtaining employment will occur simultaneously.


The New York State Education Department (NYSED)

  1. In order to be eligible for certification with NYSED, you must first submit an Application.  You must then arrange to have your school submit official, sealed transcripts directly to NYSED in order to determine your equivalency to a U.S. degree.
  2. NYSED will then review the material to ensure that you have completed a course load that is equivalent to the courses in its requirements. NYSED has the following standards:
    • Education must include a practicum and 75 semester hours; at least 36 of the 75 semester hours must be at the graduate level.
    • The 75 semester hours must be of courses as specified below.
      • Human Communication Processes and Sciences:12 semester hours, including but not limited to course content in:
        • normal anatomy and physiology of speech and swallowing;
        • cognitive and linguistic bases of language; and
        • neural bases of speech, hearing, language and swallowing.
        • Professional Practice Areas in Speech-Language Pathology:36 semester hours,including but not limited to course content in multicultural issues and in diagnostic assessment and treatment of person with disorders of:
          • articulation/phonology;
          • fluency;
          • voice and resonance;
          • receptive and expressive language;
          • literacy;
          • hearing; and
          • swallowing.
        • Plus an additional 27 semester hours in the above content areas or related areas in:
          • audiology/aural rehabilitation;
          • cognitive/psychosocial aspects of communication;
          • cleft palate/craniofacial anomolies;
          • augmentative and alternative communication (AAC);
          • research methodology;
          • counseling;
          • professional issues;
          • ethics; and
          • infection control issues related to the prevention of communication disorders.
        • Practicum in Speech-Language Pathology:a minimum of 400 clock hours under supervision, including:
          • at least 375 clock hours in direct client contact;
          • at least 25 clock hours in clinical observation;
          • at least 325 clock hours at the graduate level.
  3. You must also qualify for and pass the Specialty Area test of the Praxis Series, Praxis II – Speech-Language Pathology with a minimum score of 600. The test is administered worldwide by ETS.  You may locate a test center, research test requirements, and identify preparatory materials at http://www.ets.org.
  4. Once your education is approved by NYSED, you must then successfully complete a Clinical Fellowship Year (CFY) in the State of New York, under supervision by a New York State licensed Speech Language Pathologist and employee of InterFysio.  A Form 4A must be submitted prior to the CFY to identify the supervisor and have/him approved for the position with a Form 6 from NYSED.  You will not be considered a fully licensed Speech Language Pathologist during the CFY, though you will be working on assignment for InterFysio.

The CF will consist of the equivalent of 36 weeks of full-time clinical practice, at least two third of which should involve direct clinical contact with persons who have communication disorders.  The CFY should also include:

  • Direct clinical work with patients or students
  • Consultations
  • Record keeping
  • Any other duties relevant to clinical practice. At least two thirds of the experience should. 

The InterFysio supervisor will meet with and observe you on a regular basis to review and evaluate your experience and foster your professional development.  Supervisor guidelines are available for review at http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/slpa/speechlic.htm#gudl.

  1. In order to be eligible for certification with ASHA, a Speech-Language Pathologist educated outside the U.S. must submit their transcript to a credential evaluating agency in order to determine its equivalency to a U.S. degree. If you are a foreign graduate of Canada, the U.K., or Australia, please scroll down as your standards for credentialing differ.
  2. ASHA will then review the material from the evaluating agency to ensure that the applicant has completed a course load that is equivalent to the courses in its requirements. ASHA has the following standards:
    • An applicant must have completed a minimum of 75 semester credit hours (at least 36 hours at the graduate level) and must have taken courses in each of the following areas – biological science, physical science, mathematics, and behavioral/social sciences.
    • An applicant must have undergone 400 hours of clinical experience as part of their education.
    • The applicant must have the director of his/her graduate program complete the “2005 Application for Certification,” available at http://www.asha.org.
  3. Applicant must then pass the Praxis Examination in Speech-Language Pathology with a minimum score of 600. The test is administered worldwide by ETS, please follow this link to see if there is a test center near your location, http://www.ets.org.
  4. Applicant must then successfully complete a Speech-Language Pathology Clinical Fellowship (SLPCF). The SLPCF will consist of the equivalent of 36 weeks of full-time clinical practice.


InterFysio will sponsor qualified SLPs for employment in the U.S.

Depending on the most appropriate circumstances at the time, Interfysio will either sponsor you for a green card or work visa. Our aim is to obtain ability for you to work in the U.S. in the most efficient manner.

The flow chart below should read:

  1. File Visa Screen application with CGFNS
  2. Submit education and license verifications directly from school and licensing body
  3. Submit passing TOEFL score
  4. CGFNS will verify credentials under the requirements of U.S. immigration law
  5. Certificate or report of deficiency issued
    1. Certificate issued: Filing of Immigration Petition by InterFysio
    2. Report of deficiency issued: InterFysio will review deficiencies and advise on an appropriate education plan

Step 5:

Once you receive your visa/green card and arrive in the U.S., you may begin work as a CFY.  Once you complete your CFY and receive your New York State Speech Language Pathologist license, you will be promoted to SLP.